Monday, March 3, 2008

"I'm fairly alarmed here."


Jurassic Park...what a classic. It is an absolute visual delight that tells a lovely story of the imminent disasters caused by trying to control nature. There are also enormous dinosaurs that eat people.

This past Saturday, Whitney and I saw Jurassic Park at the Uptown theater at midnight. At first, I was iffy about the idea. However, considering the fact that (for once) I didn't have choir the next morning, I decided to go for it. I am so happy I made that decision. Overall, this was an excellent experience. The night started at the Uptown Diner where we indulged in some tasty malts and were slightly creeped out by our enthusiastic waiter. Definitely a positive start. After that, we made our way to the Uptown theater where, after standing in line for a bit, buying our tickets, getting popcorn, and me freaking about about a poster for Teeth, we made our way to the second row and settled in for the long haul.

What a good choice. No viewing of Jurassic Park could ever compare to that with a live audience. Especially if you consider the type of people who would actually go see Jurassic Park at midnight in Uptown. There was no doubt in my mind that the crowd would be excellent and I was not disappointed. At the introduction of each new character, there was much cheering and ruckus. When Wayne Knight was introduced as Dennis Nedry, a distinctly hateful murmur of "Newman..." arose from the audience. Although I was probably the person who laughed when B.D. Wong (who now is on Law and Order SVU) showed up, I didn't feel stupid at all. Fabulous.
I really wish that every movie-going experience could be as lovely and enjoyable as seeing Jurassic Park at midnight. Unfortunately, such is not the case....

1 comment:

whitney! said...

that was a truly amazing movie watching experience. and I'm not going to make fun of you for writing a non-mandatory blog post... BUT I wanted to tell you that you are such a good writer! and I really hope that next year in hawaii you don't completely neglect your awesome writing skills and your creative talents. Because I still expect to get a first edition signed copy of your first book you write.